Thursday, April 07, 2016

Stop Taking Away My Rights To Take Away Other People's Rights!

I saw this written on a meme this morning.  While the meme was a little silly, this statement resonates with me.

It's no secret that I am a bleeding heart liberal.  With that being said, that doesn't mean I am 100% liberal and have no "conservative" beliefs of my own.  Which I do.

BUT, just because I believe a certain way, I do not think that anyone has the right to take away anyone else's right to something or what they believe in simply because it's different from my particular belief.

America is a free country.  It's what we are founded upon.

For example, being pro-choice absolutely does not mean that I am pro-abortion.  I am absolutely not.  Do I believe there would be certain circumstances that I may be?  Yes.  Personally I don't believe in abortion, BUT I am very pro-choice, because it is not my right to tell someone else what their beliefs are or to control what they are allowed to do or not.

Mississippi just passed a very shameful law allowing business owners to reject business to anyone in the LGBT community if they see fit based on religious beliefs.  W.T.F.  Are we back in the slavery era again?  This disgusts me.  And simply out of this inhumane act, I will avoid all things Mississippi from here until my death.

I get it.  Everyone believes differently.  And I respect that.  About anyone.  HOWEVER, that does not give you the right to NOT BE A DECENT FUCKING HUMAN BEING.  There is no excuse for being anything other than decent to a fellow human.  You don't have to agree with someone, but don't treat people different from you like assholes.  You don't have to like them.  But you also don't have to be an entitled asshole.  Last time I checked, you weren't God or Jesus himself.  Besides, Jesus wouldn't treat someone like that, so screw that argument.

I am ill by what is going on in America right now.  Between the political nightmares and the holier-than-thou religious groups I am just sad for us all.

This is why I can't get too involved in any of this stuff anymore.  It's deterring me from my own happiness...but that doesn't mean it still doesn't make my blood boil every once in a while.

Now back to rainbows and butterflies.

No comments: