Friday, September 28, 2007

Flashback Friday : Volume 4

i have a two-fer for you lovelies today.

i've always loved The Psychedelic Furs. richard butler is definitely one funny lookin dude, but man, has he got some pipes.

of course you all know them from the theme song of the 80's hit film "Pretty In Pink" starring molly ringwald and mr. jon cryer who has made a nice little name for himself on two-and 1/2 men. i'll forever know him as "duckie" though. and of course, how could you forget, the boyishly cute andrew mccarthy, who once tried to play a roll as a bad guy and failed miserably because he's just too sweet. anyshmmooooooooooo....i'm drifting away from my point here, so moving along....

i had a tussle in me noggin about which song i wanted to post. it was a toss-up between "Heaven" and "The Ghost In You". i chose the latter. i'm now going to take you back to 1984 with this sweet lyrical gem :



i will also provide you with the lyrics because it is SUCH a beautifully written song:

A man in my shoes runs a light and
All the papers lied tonight
But falling over you
Is the news of the day

Angels fall like rain
And love (love, love)
Is all of heaven away

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade

A race is on, I'm on your side and
Here in you my engines die I'm
In a mood for you
Or running away

Stars come down in you
And love (love, love)
You can't give it away

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade

Don't you go
It makes no sense when
All your talk and supermen just
Take away the time
And get in the way

Ain't it just like rain?
And love (love, love)
Is only heaven away

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade

nextly, let's stick with the same band and head to 1991 for "until she comes" :

(embedding is disabled, so follow THIS LINK)

in the early 90's richard butler and his brother, tim went on to form Love Spit Love (which strangely enough, richard seemed to gain a little weight and fill himself in and became a little more handsome), whom in my opinion, released their self-title album in 1994 and i absolutely adored it. i didn't follow much after that, but i will always have a place in my heart for The Psychedelic Furs.

happy friday to you all.

ciao.

2 comments:

Historical Wit said...

Right there with you. TPF were one of those bands I listened to with my first 2 girlfriends. I was into alterna punk rock girls in high school and the music they were into. I was pretty vanilla up until I started riding my skateboard and dating girls with plaid hair and 6 ear rings. I also kept listening to the music they introduced to me.

And how can you not get down with duckie? The two characters from the 80's that matter: Lloyd Dobler and Duckie. Good post, thanks for the old school flash back.

Oceanshaman said...

Love the Psych Furs . . . though my seminal memory of them goes back to the movie Valley Girl and the song Love My Way . . .

God, how I loved Deborah Foreman . . .